Tuesday, May 13, 2014

How I fed the family for $50 following the 21 day fix.

I challenged myself this week to spend less than $100 for all of our groceries- groceries to feed 4 adults and 1 toddler, for a week. Following the 21 day fix.

And guess what. I did it. and for half of what I challenged myself to do! Our grocery total was $50 for this week! SCORE! 

How did I do it? 

Well, it took PLANNING. I had to first take inventory of everything we had in the house. Cabinets, fridge, freezer, everything. We grocery shop on a weekly basis, so I don't generally keep a ton of extra's in the house. Then I had to get creative and see what ways  I can combine the food we have to create balanced meals for the family. From there, I made my list of things we still needed. I made sure that any and all left overs would be incorporated into the meals and that any produce that needed to get used up went on the menu first to avoid spoilage.

When we went to get our groceries, I STUCK to my list! It's so easy to see things and think we need them, but stick to your guns- you made a list for a reason! Don't stray from it!

And that's it! I didn't use coupons or shop only the sale ad (which I've done before and also saves money!), I just didn't have time for that. But through frugal healthy planning, inventory and eliminating food waste- I fed my family for $50!

Happy savings everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment